Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hospital Trip

So, I got to do somethin' fun Thursday...spend all day in the hospital. Lemme explain:

I woke up around 6 in the a.m. with my chest feelin' funny. Not hurting, exactly, just tight. And my heart was beating really fast. I had eaten dinner late Wednesday, so I just thought it was gas. I took some tums, and some aspirin in case somethin' weird was goin' on. After around 15 minutes, it wasn't any better, so I went and woke my mom the nurse up. I was supposed to take her to work anyways, so after checking my pulse she said she would take me in and do an EKG. And that's when it got bad.

I got a little dizzy on the car ride over, and that worried her. We went in, she tied me into the machine and hit start. Now, for some of you who don't know, the EKG is that green line they show on tv doctor shows that does a sharp peak and then dip every second or so. That's normal. Mine looked like a seismograph registerin' a level 5 earthquake. A regular heartbeat is between 60-110 beats a minute. Mine was bouncin' between 175 and 280. And I felt fine. Blood pressure was good, temperature was good, and I could move, talk, and walk. So the doc that she works for got there, looked at it, and said "I'll call you from the hospital when I have a room."

So then I went to the E.R. They gave me meds to try and bring it down, and they didn't work. I had two different doctors checkin' me out, and after about an hour they decided to send me to the cardiac wing. At this point, it had actually sped up and wasn't dropping below 200 and managed to hit 300 a couple of times. So I went upstairs, where every doctor, nurse, assistant, and janitor was watchin' the screen. This whole experience wasn't scary. What worried me was that according to the doc's, I shouldn't have been conscious, much less walking and talking. But I felt fine. They asked me a hundred questions and I answered every one. So the main heart doctor gets there and says, "What're we standin' around for? Why haven't we shocked him?"

So basically what they proceeded to do was give me a shot that paralyzed me and put me to sleep, stop my heart, wait a second, and then start it back again via a large amount of electricity. So, depending on your definition, I was dead for a few seconds. Wasn't that much fun. So to make an already long story a little shorter, I stayed overnight, had a few more tests done, and managed to dodge any operations for now. That may change at some point though.

I got sent home with a prescription, and no caffeine and no alcohol orders. Nothin' left to live for right? Got some follow up tests in a few weeks. At that point, hopefully I'll know what, if anything, comes next. If you got any questions, you know where to call! Y'all take care, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment